Top News:


Baseball holds its breath for The List to be released — The reactions will range from shock to anger, to threats and counter-threats. Then again, maybe George Mitchell's 20-month steroids investigation will be stopped dead cold by a wall of cynicism. Already there are enough detractors …
Discussion:
MetsBlog.com, NY Daily News, MLB Trade Rumors, Hot Stove New York and Replacement Level …
RELATED:

Source says information on Clemens will be in Mitchell's report — Clemens May Be Named in Mitchell Report — A former New York Yankee strength trainer says information he supplied to the George Mitchell investigation regarding supplying Roger Clemens with steroids is included …
Discussion:
MLB Trade Rumors

Sources: Players, owners to share blame in Mitchell report … Major League Baseball and the Players Association share the blame for tolerating a widespread culture of drug abuse, George Mitchell's report on doping in baseball says, according to two lawyers who said they are familiar with the report.
Discussion:
Boston Globe, The Good Phight, The Big Lead, EPIC CARNIVAL, River Ave. Blues, The Hot Corner and Wrigleyville23

Sox players aren't safe — Mitchell report to create firestorm … By the end of today, one or more Red Sox [team stats] players could have asterisks next to their names. — More than 60 baseball players, quite possibly including current or past Red Sox, will be named this afternoon …
Discussion:
MLB.com, Boston Sports Media Watch, New York Post, SOX & Dawgs, Fox Sports, Red Sox Monster, Boston Globe and The Big Lead


Baseball Braces for Steroid Report From Mitchell — George J. Mitchell's report on performance-enhancing drugs in baseball, to be unveiled Thursday afternoon, will be highly critical of the commissioner's office and the players' union for tolerating the presence of drugs throughout years of abuse …
Discussion:
Washington Post, GoatRiders of the Apocalypse, Can't Stop The Bleeding and Mets Refugees

Search for Search Tips — Contact Us - Official Info - Advertising - Affiliates - Job Opportunities - MLB Tickets — The following are trademarks or service marks of Major League Baseball entities and may be used only with permission of Major League Baseball Properties …
Discussion:
MetsBlog.com, FishStripes, Amazin' Avenue, SBG Nation Presents …, The Sommer Frieze, 6-4-2, Lone Star Ball and Hot Foot
RELATED:

Cubs part ways with Prior — A Cubs career than began with a bang ended with a whimper Wednesday night for one-time ace Mark Prior. — Two hours before the 11 p.m. deadline to offer arbitration to eligible players, general manager Jim Hendry non-tendered Prior, allowing him to leave via free agency at age 27.

Mets sever ties with recently acquired Estrada — NEW YORK — Johnny Estrada never caught on with the New York Mets. — Acquired last month in a trade with Milwaukee, Estrada was let go Wednesday when the Mets declined to offer him a contract for next season.
RELATED:

New stadium could lure Andy Pettitte back for 2009 season
Discussion:
Bronx Banter

Vizcaino close with Rockies, Pirates — LIKE THIS STORY? — Free-agent reliever Luis Vizcaino is close to signing with either the Pirates or Rockies, according to major-league sources. — Vizcaino, 33, is expected to receive a multi-year deal after rejecting a one-year contract through salary arbitration with the Yankees.
RELATED:

Texas Rangers acquire 1B Broussard from Mariners — egrant@dallasnews.com — The Rangers apparently solved their first base dilemma late Wednesday by acquiring the player they had coveted, Ben Broussard, from Seattle for minor league infielder Tug Hulett.
RELATED:

Jays close to deal with shortstop Eckstein — LIKE THIS STORY? — The Blue Jays have been mostly quiet this off-season, waiting for the right player to become available at a reasonable price. — That player finally has emerged — free-agent shortstop David Eckstein.

Astros part ways with Everett — Longtime Houston shortstop becomes free agent — HOUSTON — Adam Everett has been hearing Miguel Tejada's name floating around Houston for the better part of 18 months, and understandably, he was hoping the Astros' interest in the Orioles star would never blossom into a done deal.
RELATED:


Nats sign three, non-tender two — Cordero, Rauch and Redding among those arbitration eligible — WASHINGTON — The Nationals agreed to terms on 2008 contracts with right-handers Luis Ayala, John Patterson and Ryan Wagner on Wednesday, thus avoiding salary arbitration …
RELATED:


Williams adapting to tough offseason — Sox GM three-quarters of the way to achieving club's aims — CHICAGO — White Sox fans look at the offseason moves put forth by their beloved organization, coming on the heels of last year's disappointing 72-90 season, and the word frustration occupies much of the analysis.
RELATED:


Marlins will look for new starting catcher — Olivo only Florida player to not be tendered a contract — MIAMI — As expected, the Marlins will be turning the page when it comes to finding their starting catcher. — On Wednesday night, the club bid farewell to Miguel Olivo …
Discussion:
FishStripes

Marlins' stadium plan gets new life — The Marlins and Miami political leaders have launched a pre-holiday scramble to firm up a $525 million plan to open a baseball stadium at the site of the Orange Bowl by 2011, but team officials stopped short of saying they have signed on to a deal.
Discussion:
FishStripes

Bruney stays; Beam, DeSalvo and Rasner go — Brian Bruney can afford another tattoo, the Yankees decided to keep him. Bruney, Wilson Betemit, Robinson Cano and Chien-Ming Wang were all offered arbitration tonight. — The Yankees did not offer deals to RHPs T.J. Beam, Matt DeSalvo and Darrell Rasner.